Sunday, June 20, 2010

the storyteller

i was terrified of a creature called Gollum long before i'd ever seen the cover of a book called Lord of the Rings.

this is because i learned the stories of hobbits and elves and wizards and rings while walking through the woods as a little girl with a born storyteller.

i remember a band of characters called the "I Don't Care Bears" as vividly as i remember any cartoon i watched as a kid.

this is because that same storyteller encouraged me to create my own worlds in addition to the ones fed to me on TV.

to this day, i tend not to read books by King or Koontz, because i prefer to hear the tales recounted by the storyteller.

the best i can offer in return is to let the storyteller be my always-first beta reader. thankfully, he likes my stories too.

thank you, Dad, for 31 years of stories.
Happy Father's Day

2 comments:

Nomes said...

your dad sounds awesome.

my dad read me the lord of the rings when I was 12. A huge book to read out-loud! I was so freaked about the ring-wraiths, but I didn't want to say b/c I loved him reading in my bed with me too much :)

erinjade said...

aw! nice to see i'm not the only one with an awesome pop!